Classic Victoria sponge recipe
- May 2011
- Serves 10
- Takes 15 min to make, 20-25 min to cook
This classic Victoria sponge cake recipe can form the basis of many birthday cakes and is a quintessential part of afternoon tea.
- 17.2g (10.4g saturated)
- 37.5g (23.4g sugar)
- 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g (about 3 large) free-range eggs (crack them into a bowl and weigh them: if they’re lighter, reduce the butter, sugar and flour accordingly)
- 175g self-raising flour
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 4 tbsp raspberry jam
- Caster sugar to sprinkle
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Cut 2 x 18cm discs of baking paper. Grease 2 x 18cm sandwich tins, line the bases with the baking paper, then grease again.
- Put the butter in a bowl with the caster sugar and beat together until really light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition, then sift over the flour and fold in gently with a spatula or metal spoon to combine. Fold in enough milk to give a smooth ‘dropping’ consistency.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins – use scales. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden. A skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean (don’t do this to both cakes – you want a pristine example for the top).
- Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack that’s covered in a clean cotton tea towel to prevent marking. Carefully turn over (remove the towel) and allow to cool completely.
- Once cold, place the skewered half, bottom-side up, on a cake stand and spread generously with raspberry jam. Top with the other cake, bottom down, then sprinkle with caster sugar before serving.
Freeze the cooked, cooled cakes before sandwiching with jam.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Private: Victoria sponge with crème patissière and gooseberry compote
This delightfully old-fashioned gooseberry sponge cake recipe is a taste of summer, with sweet and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...