Orange and almond Victoria sponge cake
- April 2013
- Serves 10
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook, plus cooling
Try serving our orange and almond twist on the traditional Victoria sponge cake at your next afternoon tea or as a Mother’s Day or Easter treat.
Or, why not add a lemony layer of flavour to your next sandwich cake with this raspberry and lemon sponge cake?
- 41g (22.7g saturated)
- 59.2g (43.6g sugars)
- 250g unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra to grease
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 5 medium free-range eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 75g ground almonds
For the filling
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g icing sugar, plus extra to dust
- Zest of 1 large orange
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Splash of milk or cream
- 3 tbsp raspberry jam, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease and line 2 x 20cm shallow sandwich tins with baking paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the 250g butter and golden caster sugar with an electric hand whisk until really light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, then fold in the flour and ground almonds.
- Divide the mixture between the 2 tins, then bake on the middle oven shelf for 20-25 minutes until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Remove the sponges from the oven and leave in the tins for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the filling, put the 150g butter, icing sugar, orange zest and lemon juice into a mixing bowl, then beat together to make a light butter icing. Add a splash of milk or cream if you need to loosen it a little.
- Put one of the sponges on a serving plate. Spread with the buttercream, then top with the jam Place the other sponge on top, flat side facing down, and press down lightly. Dust with icing sugar, then slice and serve with a mug of tea.
Learn how to split a cake neatly in half below…
Freeze the cooked, cooled sponges, wrapped well in baking paper and foil. Defrost fully before assembling the cake.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter