Cola ham for Christmas
- December 2011
- Serves 14
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 3 hours 30-40 minutes to cook, plus cooling
Our cola Christmas ham is a hit year in, year out. A modern take on a Boxing Day ham recipe, this sweet-savoury combo is sure to be a hit for you, too.
Or, for a super simple recipe with moreishly crunchy results, check out our crackling ham.
- 26.7g (8.8g saturated)
- 4.7g (4.6g sugars)
- 3kg unsmoked gammon from the thick end of the leg, deboned and rolled (ask your butcher to do this)
- 4 litres cola
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 star anise
- 6 black peppercorns
- 15 cloves
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- Put the gammon in a large, deep pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then drain. Return the gammon to the clean pan and pour over the cola, topping up with cold water to cover if necessary. Add the onion, star anise and peppercorns.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat, cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 3 hours or until the ham is cooked through. Remove the ham from the liquid and leave to cool. (Discard the liquid.)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Once the ham is cool enough to handle, carefully remove the skin using a small, sharp knife, leaving a good even layer of fat. Score the fat in a diamond pattern and stud each diamond with a clove.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and brush generously over the ham. Put it in a baking tray and cook for 20-30 minutes, basting 2-3 times with the leftover glaze, until sticky.
Cook the gammon to the end of step 2 up to 2 days in advance, then cover and chill.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas ham recipes
Baked ham with sticky raisin, tamarind and chipotle relish
”This ham is our favourite family recipe. Ask your butcher to skin the gammon for...
More food for thought...
Christmas ham recipes
The best bit of Boxing Day is definitely...
Make-ahead Christmas dinner recipes
Whether you call it Christmas dinner or lunch...
Boxing Day recipes
It's not Boxing Day unless you make multiple...
Christmas pie recipes
Whether you're looking for a hearty pie to...
Christmas leftover recipes
Be wise to wastage and turn your leftover...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...