Sausage and root veg hotpot
- February 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 45 minutes to cook
A warming winter treat, this quick sausage stew makes a fine midweek supper.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 28.9g fat (8.3g saturated)
- 20.4g protein
- 29.8g carbs (17.7g sugars)
- 2.6g salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 good-quality sausages
- 2 large red onions, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 300ml red wine
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- A few fresh rosemary sprigs
- 200ml chicken stock, hot
- Handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil over a medium heat in a flameproof casserole, then brown the sausages all over. Set aside, then heat another 1 tbsp of the oil and gently fry the red onions for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and fry for a further 2 minutes, then set aside with the sausages.
- Heat the remaining oil and quickly fry the root veg for 5 minutes until starting to colour, then set aside with the other ingredients.
- Pour the wine into the casserole and bubble until reduced by half, return the other ingredients to the casserole, then add the tomatoes, rosemary and chicken stock. Season well, then bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Remove the lid and bubble for a further 10 minutes to reduce the sauce. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.
Use whatever veg you have to hand. This would be great with chunks of swede or turnip, or with potato and sweet potato
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cheat’s sausage and gnocchi bake
A quick and easy-to-make gnocchi recipe, with sausages and peperonata, that you will have ready...