- August 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 40 minutes to make, 30-35 minutes to cook, plus chilling
Bursting with beef, swede, potato and onion this classic cornish pasty recipe makes a great lunchbox filler or picnic dish.
- 42.7g (20.1g saturated)
- 74.7g (5g sugars)
- 500g strong white flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp each salt and pepper
- 120g cold butter, diced
- 120g cold lard, diced
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
For the filling
- 1 medium potato, cut into 0.5cm dice
- ½ (about 250g) swede, peeled and cut into 0.5cm dice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 300g beef skirt or chuck, excess fat removed and cut into 0.5cm cubes
- For the pastry, sift the flour, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Add the butter and lard and rub between your fingers until it is the consistency of fine breadcrumbs. Add just enough chilled water to bind (about 7-8 tbsp). Shape into a flat disc, wrap in cling film and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the diced vegetables and parboil for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan and soften the onion over a low heat. Mix with the vegetables in a large bowl and allow to cool. Once cool, stir in the chopped beef and season well.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin. Cut out 6 x 20cm circles. Spoon the filling into the centre of each circle, leaving a 2.5cm border. Season. Brush the pastry edges with a little beaten egg, then fold in half to enclose the filling. Seal well, crimping around the edges.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Place the pasties on a large lined baking sheet and brush all over with beaten egg. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pastry is golden and the filling is piping hot.
Don’t pierce the pastry to let the steam out. The filling should steam inside the pasties.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter