Crayfish salad with radishes, apple and poppy seeds
- May 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Gill Meller recommends serving crayfish tails with brown bread, butter, chopped fresh dill and lemon juice. Although we think his quick and scrumptious salad with crisp radish, sharp apples and the toothsome crunch of poppy seeds showcases them beautifully.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 14.9g (2.9g saturated)
- 10.7g (10.5g sugars)
- 16 radishes
- 2 small eating apples
- 400g ready-cooked crayfish tails
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Handful fresh mint, leaves chopped
- Handful fresh dill, chopped
- 2-3 tsp poppy seeds
For the dressing
- Juice ½ lemon
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tbsp soured cream
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Trim and wash the radishes. (If they have their leaves on, you can add them to the salad.) Slice the radishes into thin rounds, roughly 2-3mm thick. Peel, quarter and core the apples, then slice thinly.
- Put the crayfish tails in a large bowl with the radish and apple slices. Squeeze over the lemon juice, spoon over the olive oil and scatter over the mint and most of the dill. Season well with salt and pepper, then gently tumble everything together.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Arrange the salad on 4 plates or a large serving platter. Spoon over the dressing, then scatter over the poppy seeds and the rest of the dill to serve.
Freeze live crayfish for 20-30 minutes to sedate them, then drop into a pan of boiling, well-salted water and cook for about 5 minutes until they turn deep red. Lift them out and leave to cool.
Treat whole cooked crayfish like large prawns/langoustines. Twist off the head, loosen a few rings on the tail shell, then squeeze out the meat from the fin end. Use the shells to make stock.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tomato salad recipes
Roasted tomato salad with feta, pearl barley and herbs
A wholesome salad recipe full of summery flavours and bursts of juicy tomato in every...
Lemon courgettes, feta and watercress salad
The peppery flavour of watercress is ideal for this Greek-inspired salad recipe, which is perfect...