Crispy halloumi with spicy pepper and tomato salsa
- September 2016
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 35 min
Runny poached eggs, crispy halloumi and sweet cherry tomatoes combine for a breakfast worth getting out of bed for.
And if you’re always hungry for halloumi, like us, then check out these 19 ways with halloumi cheese.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28.8g (12.1g saturated)
- 44.4g (14.4g sugars)
- 1 large free-range egg
- 3 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 50g panko or dried breadcrumbs
- 160g halloumi, sliced into 6 x 1cm thick pieces
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 each red, orange and yellow peppers, cut into 1cm strips
- 400g mixed colour cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 poached eggs, lemon wedges, greek yogurt and toasted sourdough to serve
- Lightly beat the egg, then put, with the flour and the breadcrumbs, into 3 separate shallow bowls. Dip the halloumi into the flour, then the egg, then breadcrumbs until evenly coated, then set aside.
- For the salsa, heat a glug of oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the onion and garlic until soft, then add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cayenne, then cook for 3 minutes. Season, stir in the parsley, then set aside in a warm place.
- Heat a glug of oil in another pan and fry the halloumi on both sides for 2-3 minutes in total until golden and crisp. Serve the halloumi on top of the salsa with a poached egg, lemon wedges, greek yogurt and sourdough toast.
If you like heat, add a little extra cayenne to the flour you dip the halloumi into.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...