Crispy halloumi with spicy pepper and tomato salsa
- September 2016
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 35 min
Runny poached eggs, crispy halloumi and sweet cherry tomatoes combine for a breakfast worth getting out of bed for.
And if you’re always hungry for halloumi, like us, then check out these 19 ways with halloumi cheese.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28.8g (12.1g saturated)
- 44.4g (14.4g sugars)
- 1 large free-range egg
- 3 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 50g panko or dried breadcrumbs
- 160g halloumi, sliced into 6 x 1cm thick pieces
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 each red, orange and yellow peppers, cut into 1cm strips
- 400g mixed colour cherry tomatoes, halved
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2-3 poached eggs, lemon wedges, greek yogurt and toasted sourdough to serve
- Lightly beat the egg, then put, with the flour and the breadcrumbs, into 3 separate shallow bowls. Dip the halloumi into the flour, then the egg, then breadcrumbs until evenly coated, then set aside.
- For the salsa, heat a glug of oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the onion and garlic until soft, then add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cayenne, then cook for 3 minutes. Season, stir in the parsley, then set aside in a warm place.
- Heat a glug of oil in another pan and fry the halloumi on both sides for 2-3 minutes in total until golden and crisp. Serve the halloumi on top of the salsa with a poached egg, lemon wedges, greek yogurt and sourdough toast.
If you like heat, add a little extra cayenne to the flour you dip the halloumi into.
Rate & review