Dum Aloo, sweet and spicy new potatoes
- November 2005
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
This Indian Dum Aloo recipe, or sweet and spicy new potatoes, make a great snack or side dish.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 15-20 small new potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3-4 cardamom pods
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick or cassia bark
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.5cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 12-15 minutes, until tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel the skins if you prefer.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Crush the cardamom pods with the back of a teaspoon. Add to the oil along with the cumin seeds, cinnamon or cassia and bay leaf. When the cumin seeds start to sizzle, add the potatoes, ginger, tomatoes, sugar and 100ml water. Season well with salt, partially cover and continue cooking over a low heat until half the liquid evaporates and the sauce is slightly thickened. Garnish with coriander to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...