Easy chicken and broccoli pie
- March 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 25-30 min
Mastered how to make a white sauce? Show off your cookery prowess by using it in this creamy chicken and broccoli pie that you could easily whip up on a weeknight.
- 26.2g (13.6g saturated)
- 36g (8.5g sugars)
- 20g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 400g free-range chicken thigh fillets, thinly sliced
- 1½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 broccoli head, cut into florets
- 650ml white sauce
- Grated zest and juice ½ lemon
- Bunch fresh flatleaf parsley
- 320g pack ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
You’ll also need…
- 1.5 litre pie dish or casserole
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. In a large deep frying pan, melt the butter and fry the onion for 5 minutes, then add the chicken. Fry for a few minutes, then add the mustard and broccoli. Gently cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the white sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer to warm through.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the lemon zest, juice and parsley, then season to taste. Pour the filling into the pie dish and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Unroll the pastry and slice 1cm strips off the edges. Press the strips onto the rim of the dish, brush with beaten egg, then top with the sheet of pastry. Trim off the excess, then cut out shapes for decoration if you like (attach them with more egg). Use a fork to seal/crimp the edges of the pie, brush with beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes until the top is golden and the filling is piping hot.
Next time, top the pie with thinly sliced potatoes. Brush with oil and bake for an extra 15 minutes until the topping is crisp and tender.
Prepare the pie filling 24 hours in advance and keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review