Falafel curry with spinach
- February 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This easy vegetarian recipe combines two street-food favourites – falafel and curry – in one easy-to-make midweek dinner. You’re going to love it.
Love falafel as much as we do? Then take a look at this baked falafel dish for an epic vegetarian brunch or dinner.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 18.4g (2.3g saturated)
- 33.6g (10.9g sugars)
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 4cm piece ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 250g full-fat natural yogurt (see tips), plus extra to drizzle
- 2 packs spinach falafels (see tip)
- 125g baby leaf spinach
- Juice 1 lemon
- Poppadums, mango chutney and steamed rice to serve (optional)
- Whizz the garlic, ginger, 1 tbsp oil, tomato purée and spices in the small bowl of a food processor or mini chopper. Add a splash of water to make a smooth paste.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan (with a lid) over a medium heat. Add the spice paste and cook, stirring, for a few minutes. Gradually add 250ml water, bring up to a simmer, then cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 200g of the yogurt (see Tips below to make it vegan), then add the falafels. Cover with the lid and cook for 5 minutes until the falafels are heated through. Stir in the spinach and a squeeze of lemon, then re-cover to allow the spinach to wilt. Season to taste and drizzle with a little extra yogurt. Serve with poppadums, mango chutney and steamed rice, if you like.
For a dairy-free meal, swap the yogurt for coconut milk.
The falafels come in packs of 8 or 9 depending on the brand (we used Waitrose World Deli).
When adding the yogurt at the end, we’d suggest letting the dish cool slightly, and add the yogurt off the heat to avoid the sauce splitting.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...