Fennel, beetroot and orange salad with griddled prawns
- June 2020
- SERVES 2
- HANDS-ON TIME 20 MIN
This quick summer salad is plenty of good things at once: crunchy, citrusy, earthy and fresh. Top with griddled prawns (or barbecue them if you can) for a fantastic side dish.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 6.5g (0.9g saturated)
- 17.5g (16.8g sugars)
- 1 large orange
- 200g sustainable raw peeled jumbo prawns, thawed if frozen
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large fennel bulb (about 300g)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp sherry or white wine vinegar
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves only
- 150g cooked beetroot in natural juice (not vinegar), cut into wedges
- Grate the zest from half the orange into a bowl, then add the prawns and ½ tbsp of the oil. Season and toss to coat. Slice the peel off the orange, cut the flesh into discs, then put in a large bowl, squeezing over any juice from the peel (discard the peel).
- Thinly slice the fennel and add to the orange slices along with the remaining oil, the mustard and vinegar. Season, then toss together.
- Heat a non–stick frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the prawns
and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until opaque and cooked through.
- Mix the parsley and beetroot into the large bowl, then arrange on a
platter or divide between 2 plates. Top with the hot prawns, then serve.
Keep leftover salad in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
If you want to increase the fibre content and calories of the meal,
serve the salad with wholemeal bread or cooked brown rice.
Rate & review