Lime, basil and chilli prawn cocktail salad
- August 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
Fuss-free and quick to cook, this chilli prawn cocktail salad recipe is the perfect way to use up that bag of prawns in your freezer – and you’ll learn how to make homemade prawn cocktail sauce, too. It’s a bit different, in that the prawns will still be warm when you eat it.
- 23.7g (5.7g saturated)
- 5.8g (4.3g sugars)
- 100g greek yogurt
- 30g tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp Tabasco
- 1 lime
- 100g mixed salad leaves
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Cucumber, peeled into ribbons
- ½ glug of vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 350g thawed raw peeled jumbo prawns
- Bunch of fresh basil, chopped
- In a small bowl, mix the greek yogurt, tomato ketchup, Tabasco and a squeeze of lime juice, then season. Add a splash of water so you have a thick, spoonable dressing, then set aside until ready to serve.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the mixed salad leaves with the sliced avocados and cucumber.
- Heat a glug of vegetable oil in a large frying pan, then add the garlic and red chilli. Fry for 1-2 minutes, then add the pack of jumbo prawns. Fry over a medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes until cooked through and golden. Tip into the salad, toss with another squeeze of lime juice and the chopped fresh basil, then transfer to a serving plate and spoon over the dressing.
We used a 350g bag of Big & Juicy frozen raw jumbo tiger prawns (from Waitrose and Ocado), defrosted according to the pack instructions. Look for the blue and white Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) logo to buy certified sustainable prawns.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Midweek meal recipes
Soba noodle and prawn salad with coriander and peanut pesto
We’ve used a combination of punchy flavours, including coriander, ginger, chilli and lime, to create...