Fish and chips
- February 2004
- Serves 2
- Ready in about 40 minutes
A classic (and easy) British recipe of homemade fish and chips, served here with a gherkin and caper sauce.
- 774 kcals
- 42g (6g saturated)
- 54g (2.7g sugars)
When served with mayonnaise
- 3 large baking potatoes
- Good splash of vegetable oil
- Splash of olive oil
- 2 thick fillets cod, about 225g each
- Plain flour, for dusting
- Handful of baby gherkins, drained and cut into quarters
- Handful of capers, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
- Small handful of snipped chives
- Couple of good dollops of mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Cut the unpeeled potatoes into thick slices, then cut each slice into thick chips. Cook in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and spill on to kitchen paper to get rid of excess water. Put into a large roasting tray and drizzle with a good glug of vegetable oil. Toss the chips well so they are coated all over. Pop into the oven for 25-30 minutes, tossing once, until golden.
- About 15 minutes before the chips are done, heat a large, heavy-based pan with olive oil. Dust the fish all over with flour and cook, skin side down, for 4-5 minutes, then carefully turn over and cook for a further 5-6 minutes until just tender. (Pop into the oven for 5 minutes if the fish is quite thick.) Remove from the pan and put on to two warm plates.
- Add the gherkins and capers to the pan and fry for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and sizzle over a high heat for about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and throw in the herbs. Put a dollop of mayonnaise on each piece of fish and spoon over the gherkin sauce. Divide the chips between plates and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Brussels sprouts recipes
Easy baked fish and chips with fried brussels sprouts
A great variation to fish and chips, this baked fish...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter