Fish and chips
- February 2004
- Serves 2
- Ready in about 40 minutes
A classic (and easy) British recipe of homemade fish and chips, served here with a gherkin and caper sauce.
- 774 kcals
- 42g (6g saturated)
- 54g (2.7g sugars)
When served with mayonnaise
- 3 large baking potatoes
- Good splash of vegetable oil
- Splash of olive oil
- 2 thick fillets cod, about 225g each
- Plain flour, for dusting
- Handful of baby gherkins, drained and cut into quarters
- Handful of capers, drained
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Handful of chopped fresh parsley
- Small handful of snipped chives
- Couple of good dollops of mayonnaise
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Cut the unpeeled potatoes into thick slices, then cut each slice into thick chips. Cook in a pan of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Drain and spill on to kitchen paper to get rid of excess water. Put into a large roasting tray and drizzle with a good glug of vegetable oil. Toss the chips well so they are coated all over. Pop into the oven for 25-30 minutes, tossing once, until golden.
- About 15 minutes before the chips are done, heat a large, heavy-based pan with olive oil. Dust the fish all over with flour and cook, skin side down, for 4-5 minutes, then carefully turn over and cook for a further 5-6 minutes until just tender. (Pop into the oven for 5 minutes if the fish is quite thick.) Remove from the pan and put on to two warm plates.
- Add the gherkins and capers to the pan and fry for 1 minute. Add the lemon juice and sizzle over a high heat for about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and throw in the herbs. Put a dollop of mayonnaise on each piece of fish and spoon over the gherkin sauce. Divide the chips between plates and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Brussels sprouts recipes
Easy baked fish and chips with fried brussels sprouts
A great variation to fish and chips, this baked fish recipe makes the most of...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...