Fluffy tomato rice
- November 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 20 min, plus resting
Kaushy Patel’s quick and easy rice recipe is made with cumin seeds, chopped tomatoes, turmeric and a homemade masala paste. It’s great accompaniment to curries.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 19.2g (7.1g saturated)
- 64.2g (3.9g sugars)
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 300g basmati rice, gently washed in cold water and drained twice
- 1¼ tsp salt
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 45g butter
- Pinch ground turmeric
- 500ml freshly boiled water
For the masala paste
- 4-6 green chillies
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 4cm fresh ginger
- For the masala paste, grind or whizz the chillies, garlic and ginger with a pinch of salt using a pestle and mortar or a blender.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan for 1½ minutes. Add the cumin seeds and swirl through the oil for 30 seconds, then add the drained rice. Stir for 45 seconds, then add the masala paste and stir for 1 minute. Add the salt and stir for another minute, then add the tomatoes, butter and turmeric. Stir gently and cook uncovered for 2 minutes.
- Add the hot water and stir for 45 seconds or until simmering. Cook for 6-7 minutes with the lid half covering the pan, stirring every 2 minutes to stop the rice sticking to the bottom, then reduce the heat to low and add 30ml water.
- Put a large square of foil on top of the rice and tuck it into the edges of the pan. This will seal the rice and keep it moist while it steams. Cover with the lid, reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook for 13-14 minutes. Take off the heat and leave to rest, covered, for 15 minutes before serving.
This recipe is from Prashad at Home by Kaushy Patel (RRP £25; Saltyard Books).
This is best eaten on the day, but you could reheat it in the microwave up to 24 hours after making it. Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Rate & review