Freezer-friendly chicken and spinach tikka masala
- July 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, simmering time 15-20 min
We’ve turned this Friday night favourite into a midweek winner by using lots of freezer staples. Frozen spinach, onions, ginger and chicken all go into this easy chicken tikka masala recipe making it a brilliant dish to whip together last minute.
And for a weekend-friendly version, when you have a little more time, make our ultimate chicken tikka masala.
- 14g (2.6g saturated)
- 10.3g (8.4g sugars)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 frozen free-range chicken breasts, defrosted and cut into 3cm chunks
- 100g frozen chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp frozen grated ginger (from most large supermarkets)
- Large bunch fresh coriander, leaves picked, stalks chopped and kept separate
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 100g chicken tikka curry paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 350g frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry in a sieve
- 3 tbsp single cream
- Basmati rice or naan bread to serve
- Heat half the sunflower oil in a large non-stick frying pan set over a medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and fry, turning occasionally, for4-5 minutes until golden, then transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan, then add the frozen chopped onion, crushed garlic, grated ginger and coriander stalks and fry for 3-4 minutes until softening. Add the ground cumin and cook for a further minute until fragrant.
- Return the chicken to the pan, then add the tikka paste and chopped tomatoes. Rinse out the tomato tin with 200ml water and add that to the pan too. Simmer over a low-medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Stir in the spinach, heat through, then add the cream (don’t boil). Taste and season with salt and ground black pepper. Garnish with the reserved coriander leaves and serve with basmati rice or naan.
Rate & review