Garlic and oloroso clams
- June 2016
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus soaking
This sensual Spanish recipe for two combines clams, sherry and crusty bread (for mopping up the garlicky tomato sauce). Time to dig in.
- 18.4g (2.9g saturated)
- 21.5g (13.8g sugars)
- 1kg clams
- 3 medium vine tomatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus a drizzle to serve
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300ml dry oloroso sherry, plus extra to serve
- Large bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Crusty bread to serve
- Put the clams in a large bowl of cold, salted water. Taste the water – it needs to be as salty as seawater otherwise the clams will drown. Leave them for 30 minutes to draw out the grit, then rinse under cold water and drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, use a sharp knife to make a cross in the bottom of each tomato, then put them in a bowl and cover with boiling water from a kettle. Leave them for a minute or so, then drain and cool under running cold water. Peel off the skins – they should come away easily. Halve and deseed the tomatoes, then chop finely with a sharp knife.
- In a large saucepan with a lid, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the shallots and fry for 5-10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes, then add the sherry and 100ml water. Bubble for 5-10 minutes, then add the clams and cover with the lid. Shake the pan after a minute and again after around 3-4 minutes. Once the clams have all opened (discard any that remain closed), remove from the heat.
- Toss the chopped tomatoes and parsley into the clam mixture, then season (you’ll probably only need black pepper as the clams will be salty). Add a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of sherry, then serve with good crusty bread.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Razor clams and blood oranges
This Spanish recipe with razor clams is light enough to serve as a fresh starter.
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...