Glazed raspberry and white chocolate tarts
- July 2008
- Serves 6
- Takes 35 min to make, 20 min to bake, plus chilling and cooling
These creamy, fruity tarts are so good they’ll look like you’ve bought them from a patisserie.
- 38.2g (21.6g saturated)
- 56.7g (29.2g sugar)
- 25g cornflour
- 3 medium free-range egg yolks
- 400ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 100g white chocolate, melted, plus 60g extra white chocolate, melted, for lining the pastry cases
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- 100ml double cream
- 300g raspberries
For the pastry
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 90g salted butter, cubed
- 20g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Make the pastry. In a bowl, rub the flour and butter together with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, add 2-3 tablespoons of cold water and bring together to form a soft dough. Wrap in cling film and chill for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the crème patissière. In a large bowl, whisk together the cornflour and egg yolks. The mixture will be stiff at first but it will become easier to mix. Place the milk and the vanilla pod in a pan over a medium heat. When it reaches simmering point, strain over the egg mixture, whisking all the time (discard the vanilla pod). Stir in 100g of the melted chocolate and whisk well. Return the custard to the pan and heat gently until thickened, whisking all the time. Set aside to cool, covering the surface with cling film to prevent a skin forming.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry to a 5mm thickness and use to line 6 x 10cm round x 2cm deep fluted tart tins, trimming any excess pastry. Line each with baking
- paper and beans and blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes, until cooked and golden. Carefully remove the pastry cases from the tins and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, brush the remaining melted chocolate into the tart cases in 2 coats, chilling between each coat. Place the lemon zest, juice and apricot jam in a pan and simmer for 1 minute, until reduced slightly. Cool. Whisk the cream to just stiff peaks and fold into the white chocolate custard. Fill each tart case with the custard, top with the raspberries and spoon over the apricot glaze.
Rate & review