Goat’s cheese and onion tart
- September 2007
- Serves 6
- Takes about 40 minutes to make, 45 minutes in the oven, plus chilling
This vegetarian goat’s cheese and onion tart makes a tasty treat. Delicious served with salad, or a selection of fresh vegetables.
- 45.5g (26.6g saturated)
- 38.9g (7.8g sugars)
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large Spanish onions, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 medium eggs, plus 2 medium egg yolks
- 142ml carton double cream
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus extra sprigs to garnish
- 100g mild goat’s cheese, crumbled
For the pastry
- 225g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100g butter, diced and chilled
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- Splash of milk
- Put the pastry ingredients in a food processor and pulse, adding a splash of milk if the dough seems dry. Wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a shallow 20cm round, fluted tart tin. Pop in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter and oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring, for 20 minutes or until soft and golden. Season well.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200C/fan180C/gas 6. Line the pastry case with baking paper and beans and place on a baking sheet. Blind bake for 15 minutes, remove the paper and beans and bake for a further 5 minutes, until pale golden.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180C/fan160C/gas 4. Whisk the eggs, yolks and cream. Stir in the onions and chopped thyme, then spoon into the pastry case. Crumble over the cheese and bake for 25 minutes. Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve with a mixed leaf salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cheddar and chard tart with cheese and oatmeal pastry
Cheddar and chard are paired with a robust oatmeal pastry...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter