Green bean, bacon and pear braise
- November 2005
- Serves 6
- Ready in 1 hour 10 minutes
This traditional green bean, bacon and pear braise recipe is from Hamburg in northern Germany.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 750g double-smoked streaky bacon in a block (from good butchers)
- 350g green beans, trimmed
- 6 small firm ripe pears, unpeeled
- ½ tsp dried summer savoury or ¼ tsp of dried marjoram and ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- Place the bacon in a large, heavy-based saucepan with enough water to cover, and put over a medium heat. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer the bacon for 30 minutes.
- Add the beans, pears and dried herbs and simmer, uncovered, for a further 30 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley and season with the salt.
- Slice the bacon and divide between bowls, along with the beans. Add 1 pear to each bowl and ladle in some broth to serve.
Rate & review