Grilled mackerel with tomato and preserved lemon salad
- August 2018
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 15 min
Get your oily fish quota in this quick, zingy dish, which savvily uses frozen mackerel. It’s served with a tomato, basil and preserved lemon salad for a zesty and light meal for one.
Looking for something else? We have lots more recipes for 1 person for you to try.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 16g (3.4g saturated)
- 5.7g (2.9g sugars)
- 1 sustainable frozen mackerel fillet (about 85g)
- Large pinch ground cumin
- Large pinch ground coriander
- 1 small garlic clove, halved
- 7 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Handful small fresh basil leaves
- ¼ preserved lemon, thinly sliced (see tip)
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lemon, plus a lemon wedge to serve (optional)
- Large handful watercress, rocket and spinach salad leaves
- Heat the grill to medium-high and line a baking tray with foil. Put the frozen mackerel fillet on the tray, skin-side down. Rub all over with the ground spices and season with salt and pepper. Grill for 4-5 minutes, then turn and grill for 4-5 minutes more until cooked through and the skin is crisp.
- Meanwhile, run the cut sides of the garlic around the inside of a shallow serving bowl, then discard. Add the tomatoes, basil, preserved lemon, grated lemon zest and juice to the bowl, along with the salad leaves and a little salt and pepper. Mix well, then serve the mackerel with the salad and the lemon wedge for squeezing, if you like.
The preserved lemon flesh (pulp) can taste bitter and be overpowering. To remove it, scrape off with a knife and use only the lemon skin.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy dinner ideas
Grilled mackerel with orange and basil-dressed pepper salad
Omega 3-rich fresh mackerel pairs perfectly with zingy orange and sweet peppers in this 20-minute...