Grilled mackerel with green bean, olive and tomato pesto salad
- July 2016
- 4 smoked mackerel fillets
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 170g sourdough bread, roughly torn into pieces
- 200g green beans
- 4 tbsp fresh green pesto
- Juice 1 lemon
- 100g pitted black olives
- 340g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 100g rocket
- Bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the grill to medium. Put the mackerel fillets, skin-side up, on a large baking sheet. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the sourdough pieces to the baking sheet, drizzle a little oil over the bread, then cook under the grill for 6-8 minutes, turning the bread once, until the mackerel is heated through and the bread is crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil, then add the green beans. Cook for 3-4 minutes, drain and run under cold water. In a small bowl, mix the pesto with half the lemon juice and 2 tbsp cold water.
- Put the bread, green beans, olives, tomatoes, pesto mix, rocket and parsley in a large mixing bowl and toss together thoroughly. Season to taste (you may want a little more lemon juice), then serve with the mackerel.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Confit mackerel fillet with Serrano ham and gazpacho jelly
A simple restaurant-style fresh mackerel, Serrano ham and gazpacho jelly recipe that makes an impressive...