Honey, sesame and filo cheesecake puddings
- April 2019
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 30 min
Instead of a biscuit base, this Greek-style cheesecake is made with crisp filo pastry. It’s topped with a dollop of creamy feta, honey and orange blossom mix as well as sesame snaps and rose petals. It’s a beautiful dessert you can make-ahead of a dinner party.
Lisa Faulkner’s Greek custard tart is similar to this recipe, made with filo pastry and a sweet lemon syrup. Another crowdpleaser worth trying.
- 25.3g (14.3g saturated)
- 6.3g (5.6g sugars)
- 2-3 filo pastry sheets
- 2-3 tsp butter, melted
- 15g each shelled unsalted pistachios and almonds
- 280g full-fat cream cheese (we used Philadelphia)
- 150ml double cream
- 100g feta, rinsed and patted dry, crumbled
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¼ tsp orange blossom water
- 25g runny honey, plus extra to drizzle
- 30g sesame snaps, roughly chopped
- Dried rose petals (from larger supermarkets) to decorate
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Brush the filo with melted butter, carefully put directly onto the oven shelves, then bake for 2-3 minutes until golden. You may need to do this in batches. Set on a wire rack to cool.
- Spread the nuts over a baking tray and roast in the oven for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool, then roughly chop.
- Put the cream cheese, cream, feta, vanilla, orange blossom water and 25g runny honey in a large mixing bowl. Using an electric whisk, beat until the mixture forms soft peaks when the beaters are removed (see Make Ahead).
- Snap the cooled filo sheets into shards and divide among 8 plates or bowls. Sprinkle over the chopped sesame snaps and top with a heaped spoonful of cheesecake mix. Drizzle with honey, then sprinkle with the chopped nuts and dried rose petals and serve immediately.
Complete the recipe to the end of step 3 up to 3 days ahead. Keep the filo in an airtight container at room temperature and the cheesecake mix in an airtight container in the fridge.
Wrap unused filo in cling film and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost in fridge before use.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet bougatsa with homemade ‘Milko’
This recipe is from Christina Mouroglou’s cookbook, Mazi: Modern Greek Food. A northern Greece speciality,...
Pistachio and walnut baklava with honey yogurt ice cream
These delicate homemade baklava are a dainty alternative to traditional Christmas pudding – finish with...