Hot cross cheese and bacon toasties
- April 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 10 min
Start Easter in decadent fashion with these moreish hot cross bun toasties with cheese and bacon. They’ll be gone in just a few bites. This snack is also great for using up leftover hot cross buns.
Want to make your own hot cross buns? Try this classic hot cross buns recipe (leaving out the candied peel).
- 8 free-range unsmoked streaky bacon rashers
- 4 hot cross buns (ones without candied peel in them)
- 4 slices of mature cheddar cheese
- 30g mature cheddar, grated
- Heat the grill to high. Dry fry the bacon rashers until crisp on both sides, then set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Halve the hot cross buns and put them on a baking tray, cut-side up, then toast for a minute or two under the grill until golden. Flip the tops over so they’re the right way up, put a slice of mature cheddar cheese on the bottom half of each bun, sprinkle the grated cheddar over the tops of the buns, then grill on the middle shelf for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Top each bottom half with 2 broken crispy bacon rashers, then replace the lid on each bun. Serve immediately.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Try adding something sweet to your toastie maker with these recipes including a Tunnocks tea...