Hot cross cheese and bacon toasties
- April 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 10 min
Make Easter a little more decadent with these moreish hot cross bun toasties. Gone in just a few bites we recommend making several at once.
- 8 free-range unsmoked streaky bacon rashers
- 4 hot cross buns (ones without candied peel in them)
- 4 slices of mature cheddar cheese
- 30g mature cheddar, grated
- Heat the grill to high. Dry fry the bacon rashers until crisp on both sides, then set aside on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Halve the hot cross buns and put them on a baking tray, cut-side up, then toast for a minute or two under the grill until golden. Flip the tops over so they’re the right way up, put a slice of mature cheddar cheese on the bottom half of each bun, sprinkle the grated cheddar over the tops of the buns, then grill on the middle shelf for a few minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Top each bottom half with 2 broken crispy bacon rashers, then replace the lid on each bun. Serve immediately.
Rate & review