Individual rhubarb, demerara and almond cobblers
- March 2016
- Makes 8
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 20 min
These individual rhubarb and almond cobblers are topped with light buttermilk scones and require very little effort to make.
- 11.7g (5.4g saturated)
- 67.8g (38.4g sugars)
- 1.2kg rhubarb, sliced into 4cm lengths
- 175g golden caster sugar
- Finely grated zest 1 orange
- 30g fresh ginger, finely grated
- Cream to serve
For the topping
- 300g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 75g unsalted butter, cubed
- 284ml buttermilk (270ml for the dough, the remaining 14ml for brushing)
- 60g golden caster sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 tbsp each demerara sugar and flaked almonds to top
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the rhubarb with the sugar, orange zest and ginger in a large bowl and leave for about 15 minutes to macerate. Butter 8 x 250ml ovenproof serving dishes.
- Meanwhile make the cobbler. Put the flour, golden caster sugar baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the butter then, using your fingertips, rub in the butter until you get a coarse, sandy mixture. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla paste and bring everything together into a soft, sticky dough, then divide into 8 pieces (about 75g each). Divide each into thirds and roll into 24 balls.
- Divide the macerated rhubarb and any juices equally among the buttered dishes (about 160g each). Top each dish with 3 topping balls, brush with the reserved buttermilk (from the cobbler topping recipe), then sprinkle over the demerara sugar and flaked almonds.
- Put the dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the topping is golden and cake-like, and the rhubarb is soft but still holds its shape. Serve with lashings of cream.
Watch the video recipe…
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Creamy rice pudding with poached rhubarb
Rice pudding is old fashioned and better for it. This nice rice pudding is creamy...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...