Italian trifle (tiramisu)
- March 2009
- For 2 people
- Ready in 25 minutes
Need a quick Valentine’s Day dessert for two but can’t be bothered to cook? Look no further than this easy-to-assemble tiramisú trifle (the homemade chocolate heart is an optional finishing touch).
These chocolate-coated strawberries are another simple but effective dessert that sets the right tone for date night or Valentine’s Day.
- 25g (11.8g saturated)
- 99.3g (68.5g sugars)
For 1 serving
- 40g plain chocolate
- 300ml fresh vanilla custard
- 80ml good espresso coffee
- 2 tbsp coffee liqueur
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 200g plain sponge cake or sponge fingers
- Break up the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water – don’t let the bowl touch the water. Gently melt the chocolate until smooth, then remove from the heat and cool a little. Pour a couple of tbsp of the melted chocolate onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper, allow to set, then cut out heart shapes with a sharp knife or shaped cutter and set aside. Pour half of the custard into a bowl and mix with the remaining chocolate until smooth. (If the chocolate forms small lumps blast quickly in the microwave to melt into the custard.)
- Mix together the espresso with the liqueur and brandy. Cut the sponge cake into pieces and place in a shallow dish. Spoon over the espresso mixture and leave to soak for a few minutes.
- Start layering up 2 glasses by spooning a little of the vanilla custard into the base then topping with some of the soaked sponge. Follow with a layer of chocolate custard and more soaked sponge. Continue until you have 2 layers of each custard, finishing with the chocolate custard. Chill for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Decorate each trifle with a chocolate heart shape and serve.
This can be made ahead up to 2 hours in advance.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Italian dessert recipes
From pannacotta to panettone and tiramisu to torta...
Boozy bakes and adult puds
Amaretto, whisky, rum, gin and even red wine...
Valentine's Day recipes
From make-ahead dishes to recipes for two to...
Nothing beats the traditional Italian dessert of tiramisu....
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...