Italian trifle (tiramisu)
- March 2009
- For 2 people
- Ready in 25 minutes
Need a quick Valentine’s Day dessert for two but can’t be bothered to cook? Look no further than this easy-to-assemble tiramisú trifle (the homemade chocolate heart is an optional finishing touch).
These chocolate-coated strawberries are another simple but effective dessert that sets the right tone for date night or Valentine’s Day.
- 25g (11.8g saturated)
- 99.3g (68.5g sugars)
For 1 serving
- 40g plain chocolate
- 300ml fresh vanilla custard
- 80ml good espresso coffee
- 2 tbsp coffee liqueur
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 200g plain sponge cake or sponge fingers
- Break up the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water – don’t let the bowl touch the water. Gently melt the chocolate until smooth, then remove from the heat and cool a little. Pour a couple of tbsp of the melted chocolate onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper, allow to set, then cut out heart shapes with a sharp knife or shaped cutter and set aside. Pour half of the custard into a bowl and mix with the remaining chocolate until smooth. (If the chocolate forms small lumps blast quickly in the microwave to melt into the custard.)
- Mix together the espresso with the liqueur and brandy. Cut the sponge cake into pieces and place in a shallow dish. Spoon over the espresso mixture and leave to soak for a few minutes.
- Start layering up 2 glasses by spooning a little of the vanilla custard into the base then topping with some of the soaked sponge. Follow with a layer of chocolate custard and more soaked sponge. Continue until you have 2 layers of each custard, finishing with the chocolate custard. Chill for 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Decorate each trifle with a chocolate heart shape and serve.
This can be made ahead up to 2 hours in advance.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter