John Whaite’s chorizo and chickpeas braised in cider
- May 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 5 mim, simmering time 15 min
John Whaite’s clever marriage of chorizo, cider and chickpeas makes an excellent dinner that’s ready in just 20 minutes.
Got some chorizo to use up? Have a scroll through our recipes with chorizo collection for some inspo.
- 35.5g (11.1g saturated)
- 29.4g (3.4g sugars)
- Olive or rapeseed oil
- 500g cooking chorizo
- 2 x 660g jars cooked garbanzos (chickpeas) or 4 x 400g tins chickpeas, drained (see John’s tip)
- 200ml fresh beef stock
- 400ml dry cider, plus extra to serve (see food team’s tip)
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- In a large sauté pan, heat a good glug of oil over a medium heat. Chop the chorizo into 5mm thick discs and add them to the pan. Fry, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until cooked and just starting to brown.
- Add the chickpeas to the pan and stir to coat, then add the stock and cider. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer and cook slowly to reduce, until the liquid in the pan is sparse and thick. Remove from the heat, add an extra splash of cider (see tip) and season to taste. Scatter the parsley over to serve.
While chickpeas are best for this dish, you could use those gorgeous, plump butter beans from a jar instead.
Adding the splash of cider at the end helps to balance the dish and give it zing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes using chickpeas
Warm squash, chorizo and chickpea salad with caramelised onions
Roasted squash pairs perfectly with chorizo and chickpeas in this warming winter salad recipe.
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...