Squid, chorizo and chickpea salad
- May 2012
- Serves 2
- Ready in 20 min
This fresh, Spanish-style salad is super quick and easy to prepare without compromising on bold flavours. The rich chorizo and smoky paprika marry brilliantly with the salad leaves and zingy squid.
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 125g cooking chorizo, sliced
- 200g prepared squid tubes (frozen or fresh, defrosted if frozen), sliced into thin rounds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ x 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 60g packet Steve’s Leaves Pea Shoots & Baby Leaves, from Sainsbury’s and Waitrose, or similar
- Crusty bread to serve
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, 3 tbsp of the oil and some seasoning, then set aside. Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add the chorizo. Cook for a few minutes until crispy on both sides, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside in a bowl. Pour out a little of the fat from the pan, leaving about 1 tbsp.
- Dust the squid rounds with the paprika and a pinch each of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Increase the heat to high and fry the squid in the remaining chorizo oil for 1-2 minutes or until opaque. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the bowl with the chorizo. Remove the pan from the heat, let it cool slightly, then stir in the chickpeas to coat.
- Put the leaves in a serving bowl, add the chickpeas and the pan juices, the chorizo, squid and dressing. Toss well to coat and serve with crusty bread.
Omit the salad and toss the smoky mix through cooked pasta or basmati rice.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...