Lamb souvlaki skewers with tzatziki
- June 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 min to make, 10 min to cook
A super speedy lamb souvlaki recipe, made with cumin and lemon, comes served with homemade tzatziki. You can make the skewers on the barbecue or a griddle pan.
Fancy something with a Moroccan twist? These lamb shish skewers are dusted with sesame seeds.
- 26.3g (11.2g saturated)
- 44.7g (7.5g sugar)
- 600g lamb leg steaks, excess fat removed, cut into chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 red onions, cut into chunks
- 4 flatbreads/tortillas
- 1 little gem lettuce, leaves torn
For the tzatziki
- ½ cucumber, grated
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- Bunch of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Zest of ½ lemon and squeeze of juice
- 300ml Greek yogurt
- Coat the lamb in the oil, cumin and lemon zest. Season. Thread onto 8 skewers, alternating with onion chunks. Set aside to marinate.
- Light/preheat the barbecue or grill, or heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat. Make the tzatziki. Mix the cucumber, garlic, mint, lemon zest and juice, and yogurt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Barbecue, grill or griddle the lamb for 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked. Serve on the flatbreads with the lettuce leaves and tzatziki.
If using wooden skewers, allow an extra 10-15 minutes to soak in water first. If using a barbecue, allow an extra 30 minutes to preheat.
Rate & review