Lemon and lime granita
- August 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus cooling and freezing
This lemon and lime granita recipe has the tangy flavour of fresh lemons and limes – and hardly any calories.
- trace (trace saturated)
- 26.8g (26.8g sugars)
- 2 large juicy lemons
- 2 juicy limes
- 100g caster sugar
- Peel the zest from the lemons and limes with a potato peeler and chop roughly. Put the sugar, 150ml water and zest into a pan and stir over a gentle heat, until the mixture comes to a simmer and the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons and limes and stir into the sugar syrup. Strain the mixture into a shallow freezerproof container with a lid, cover, and freeze until the mixture begins to freeze at the edges – about 2 hours.
- Scrape all the ice from the sides of the box and break up into smaller crystals with a fork. Re-cover and return to the freezer. Repeat every 30 minutes, until you have a frozen but grainy mixture. Return to the freezer until you are ready to serve.
- Spoon into tall glass tumblers, decorate with a twist of lemon or lime zest, if you like, and serve.
Rate & review