Lighter Lancashire hotpot
- October 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Our lighter Lancashire hotpot is a better-for-you version of the family favourite, made with lean lamb, mushrooms and plenty of veg.
For more healthy comfort food, try our lighter cottage pie with a cauliflower and butter bean top.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 30.9g (11.9g saturated)
- 31.9g (11.7g sugars)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 700g lamb neck, cut into bitesize chunks, fat trimmed and discarded
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 400g chantenay or other small carrots, trimmed (150g roughly chopped, 250g halved lengthways)
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
- 3 nori sheets (from Tesco, Morrisons, Waitrose and Ocado), broken up, or 10g dried kelp (from souschef), rehydrated and chopped – or use 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 rosemary sprigs (or thyme), torn roughly
- 500ml chicken, lamb or beef stock
- 400g waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
You’ll also need…
- 24-30cm casserole or deep ovenproof frying pan with a lid
- Heat 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil in the casserole/pan over a medium-high heat Brown the lamb all over in 2-3 batches, then set aside.
- Heat the oven to 160ºC fan/ gas 4. Turn the heat to low-medium, add the rest of the oil and fry the onions for 8-10 minutes, covered with a lid, until lightly golden, stirring now and again. Remove the lid and add the mushrooms, celery, chopped carrots, flour and some salt and pepper. Mix well, turn the heat up slightly and fry, stirring, for 5-6 minutes until all the veg have softened.
- Add the seaweed (or Worcestershire sauce) and herbs with the browned lamb and stock. Stir together, then top with the potatoes and remaining carrots and sprinkle with some salt and pepper. Cover with a lid or foil and bake for 1½ hours. Remove the lid, turn the oven down to 140ºC fan/gas 3 and cook for another 1–1½ hours until the lamb is tender.
Assemble up to 2 days ahead, then cover and chill. It can be baked straight from chilled.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...