Margherita pizza with chorizo
- August 2019
- Makes enough for 3 pizzas
- Hands-on time 15-20 min, simmering time 1 hour, oven time 18-24 min
We’ve topped this margherita pizza with a rich tomato and chorizo ragù for extra fiery flavour. Prefer the meatless version? Try our ultimate margherita pizza recipe
- 39.9g (17.4g saturated)
- 83g (6g sugars)
- 3 x pizza dough bases (see basic pizza dough recipe)
- 100g chorizo, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp capers, drained
- 30g pitted black olives, halved
- 250g buffalo mozzarella, sliced
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- For the tomato ragù
- 500g ripe plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼-½ tsp sugar
- For the tomato ragù, put all the ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then simmer gently for about 1 hour or until thickened and reduced by half. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oven to its highest setting with either a pizza stone or a heavy baking sheet inside to heat up.
- Transfer a prepared pizza base, still on its baking paper, to a baking sheet, then top it with a third of the ragù, spreading it to within 2cm of the edges. Add a third of the chorizo, capers, olives and mozzarella.
- Using the baking paper to help you, slide the pizza onto the hot stone/baking sheet. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the dough is puffed at the edges and golden. Remove the pizza, leaving the stone/sheet to heat up for the next one.
- Transfer the pizza to a board, top with basil and slice. Repeat with the other 2 dough bases and toppings.
Make the tomato ragù up to 2 days ahead, then cover and keep chilled.
Rate & review