Mashed potato pie with bacon, leeks and cheese
- February 2013
- Serves 4-6
- Hands on time 20 minutes, cooking time 55-65 minutes
Take mash potato to a whole new level of greatness in this pie recipe; combine your favourite side dish with bacon, leeks and cheese and bake until golden.
Want to make it vegetarian? Just leave out the bacon for a just-as-good winter warmer.
- 17.7g (8.5g saturated)
- 34.5g (5.3g sugars)
- 1 kg floury potatoes, such as king edward or maris piper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 450g leeks, finely sliced
- 80g bacon or pancetta, diced
- 30g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 250ml milk or single cream
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- Large handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves chopped
- Generous pinch of paprika
- 90g firm cheese, such as gruyère, grated
- Halve or quarter the potatoes so they’re all about the same size. Put in a large pan, add cold water to cover, salt well and bring to the boil. Simmer for 20 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion and leeks and fry for 10 minutes until soft. Add the bacon or pancetta and fry for 3-5 minutes until browned. Season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas 5. Drain the potatoes well and mash coarsely, mixing in the butter and milk. Season well and add the egg. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the leek mixture, parsley, paprika and half the cheese, then use to fill a 24cm buttered casserole. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes until well browned. Serve immediately.
Freeze the finished, uncooked dish. Cook from frozen, covered with foil, for 20 minutes, then uncover and cook for 20-30 minutes until piping hot throughout.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter