Meatball and pepperoni pizza
- April 2020
- Serves 2 (with leftover sauce)
- Hands on time 20 min, Oven time 8-10 min
This meaty pizza is topped with meatballs, pepperoni and spicy sausage. Oh, and a generous serving of mozzarella, of course!
Prefer your pizza without the meat? Check out this fantastic tomato, burrata and pesto pizza.
- 39g (16.4g saturated)
- 48.7g (5.7g sugars)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- About 300g mini meat balls (made with British beef)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g tomato passata
- Splash red wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp dried oregano, plus extra to serve
- 2 pinches chilli flakes
- Plain flour for dusting
- 2 balls Northern Dough pizza dough (from Sainsbury’s and Ocado), defrosted. Or make your own! Here’s our classic pizza dough recipe
- 100g cooking mozzarella, diced (or use grated mozzarella)
- 2 spicy cured sausages (we used Peperami), sliced
- 12 slices pepperoni
- ½ green pepper, sliced
- ½ onion, finely sliced
- Heat a splash of the olive oil in a deep frying pan. When hot, add the meatballs and fry on a medium heat, turning occasionally, until well browned all over (4-5 minutes). Set the meatballs aside on a plate, then add the remaining oil to the pan along with the garlic and gently warm through for a minute.
- Add the passata to the pan along with the vinegar, oregano and chilli flakes, then stir and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes. Return the meatballs to the pan and simmer again for 8-10 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through. Set aside (see Make Ahead).
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to its highest setting. On a well-floured work top, roll out each ball of dough to a circle roughly 20cm in diameter, then transfer them to 2 lightly dusted baking sheets.
- Spoon some meatball sauce (see tip) onto the pizza bases and spread evenly, then scatter over the mozzarella, sausage, pepperoni, green pepper and onion. Bake for 8-10 minutes until crisp and golden. Sprinkle with extra oregano and a pinch of chilli flakes to serve.
You won’t need all the sauce for the pizzas. Keep half the meatballs and sauce as above, reheat until piping hot and serve with freshly cooked pasta.
The meatball sauce will keep for up to 2 days in a container in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Caramelised onion chutney and goat’s cheese tortilla pizza
Using tortillas as pizza bases cuts down on time and saves a few calories –...