Italian baked meatballs and orzo
- January 2020
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 15-20 min
Baked until bubbling and layered with gooey mozzarella cheese, our one-pan Italian baked meatballs make the ideal midweek comfort meal to feed a family.
Or try this Turkish-spin on meatballs for something a little different.
- 16.1g (6.8g saturated)
- 38g (5.8g sugars)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 12 British organic beef meatballs
- 1 chopped onion,
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp bruised fennel seeds
- 150g pitted chopped black olives
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 250g orzo
- 125g mozzarella
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- A small handful of fresh basil leaves
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a shallow flameproof baking dish (with a lid), then brown 12 meatballs all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add 1 chopped onion, 3 crushed garlic cloves and 1 tbsp bruised fennel seeds to the dish, then fry for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in 2 tsp dried Italian herbs, 150g pitted chopped black olives and 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes, rinsing out each tin with 100ml water and adding to the dish.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then add the browned meatballs along with 250g dried orzo. Cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the orzo is tender and the meatballs are cooked through.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Remove the foil, dot 125g torn mozzarella over the meatballs, then grill until golden and bubbling.
- Scatter with a pinch of chilli flakes, a small handful of fresh basil leaves and freshly ground black pepper to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken, caraway and beetroot risotto
Risotto is a guaranteed midweek favourite. This one combines earth beetroot with chicken for a...
Roasted chicken thighs – with courgettes, baby beetroots garlic and thyme – is a cheap...