Italian baked meatballs and orzo
- January 2020
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 15-20 min
Baked until bubbling and layered with gooey mozzarella cheese, our one-pan Italian baked meatballs make the ideal midweek comfort meal to feed a family.
Or try this Turkish-spin on meatballs for something a little different.
- 16.1g (6.8g saturated)
- 38g (5.8g sugars)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 12 British organic beef meatballs
- 1 chopped onion,
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp bruised fennel seeds
- 150g pitted chopped black olives
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 250g orzo
- 125g mozzarella
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- A small handful of fresh basil leaves
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a shallow flameproof baking dish (with a lid), then brown 12 meatballs all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add 1 chopped onion, 3 crushed garlic cloves and 1 tbsp bruised fennel seeds to the dish, then fry for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in 2 tsp dried Italian herbs, 150g pitted chopped black olives and 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes, rinsing out each tin with 100ml water and adding to the dish.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer, then add the browned meatballs along with 250g dried orzo. Cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the orzo is tender and the meatballs are cooked through.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Remove the foil, dot 125g torn mozzarella over the meatballs, then grill until golden and bubbling.
- Scatter with a pinch of chilli flakes, a small handful of fresh basil leaves and freshly ground black pepper to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...