Courgette and blue cheese pizza
- August 2019
- Makes 3 pizzas
- Hands-on time 15-20 min, oven time 18-24 min, plus infusing
This take on pizza bianco omits the tomato sauce completely and combines blue cheese, buffalo mozzarella and courgette ribbons for a gorgeously green, cheesy topping.
Check out our courgette and ricotta pizza too for another way to use up this seasonal ingredient.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 39.7g (19.4g saturated)
- 79.9g (1.8g sugars)
- 1 medium courgette, trimmed
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon olive oil (see tip), plus extra to serve
- 3 x pizza dough bases (see basic pizza dough recipe)
- Large handful fresh mint leaves
- 150g roquefort (or vegetarian alternative), crumbled
- 150g buffalo mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp shelled pumpkin seeds
- Peel the courgette into long ribbons using a Y-shaped peeler or slice finely lengthways. Put in a bowl with the lemon zest and lemon oil, then season with salt and black pepper. Set aside to infuse for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to its highest setting with either a pizza stone or heavy baking sheet inside to heat up.
- Transfer one flattened pizza dough round, still on its baking paper, to a baking sheet, then top with a third of the toppings: courgette ribbons, mint, blue cheese, mozzarella and pumpkin seeds. Using the baking paper, slide the pizza onto the hot stone/baking sheet. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the dough is puffed at the edges and golden. Remove the cooked pizza, leaving the stone/ sheet to heat up for the next pizza.
- Transfer to a plate or board, then drizzle with extra lemon oil and slice to serve. Repeat with the remaining 2 dough bases and toppings.
Lemon-flavoured olive oil adds an extra intensity to the finished pizza and is available from larger supermarkets. If you can’t find it, infuse some extra-virgin olive oil with lemon zest several hours ahead.
Rate & review