Melt-in-the-middle mozzarella beef burgers
- August 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 10 min, plus cooling and chilling
At first glance this may seem like an average burger, but no – this is so much more. Take a bite to reveal the oozing, melted mozzarella centre.
Looking for something else? Take a look at lots more burger recipes, here.
- 34.5g (14.2g saturated)
- 13g (2.8g sugars)
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g British 20 per cent fat beef mince
- 1 medium free-range egg
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 125g ball mozzarella, sliced into quarters
- Buns and toppings of your choice
- Heat a glug of oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Fry for 5 minutes until starting to soften, then add the garlic. Fry for a further 2-3 minutes, then remove from the frying pan to a plate and leave to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the beef, cooled onion and garlic, egg, mustard, cayenne and breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper, then divide the mixture into 4.
- Shape each portion into a large patty, place a quarter piece of mozzarella in the centre of each, then form the mix carefully around the mozzarella to encase it fully in a burger shape. Put the burgers on a plate, cover with cling film and chill for 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Heat a large frying pan with a little oil. When the oil is almost smoking, add the burgers. Fry for 4-5 minutes on each side until the burgers are coloured, then put them in a baking tray. Transfer to the oven and cook for 10 minutes until the beef has cooked through and the mozzarella has melted (test by piercing one carefully with a sharp knife). Leave to rest for 5 minutes, then serve in buns with your choice of toppings and sides.
Make the patties up to 48 hours in advance, wrap individually in cling film and chill. They will freeze for 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...