The ultimate beef burgers
- June 2009
- Serves 8
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 20 minutes to cook, plus chilling and defrosting
You can enjoy these ultimate beef burgers straight away or make and freeze them for sunny days when you want to fire up the barbecue.
Want to try something a little different? How about our lamb burgers with feta and harissa; they’re easy to make and ready in just 30 minutes.
Or, see all our burgers.
- 40g (14.4g saturated)
- 45.8g (4.7g sugars)
- 1kg good-quality beef mince
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Small handful chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 1 large dill pickle gherkin, finely chopped
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200g good melting cheese, such as Cheddar, Gruyère or Taleggio, sliced
- 8 burger buns
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Avocado, tomato and red onion, sliced
- Lettuce leaves
- Place all the ingredients for the burgers in a large bowl. Season and mix well. Cover and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Using wet hands, shape the mixture into 8 burgers. If you want to cook them straight away skip to step 4.
- If you are freezing them; place flat between sheets of baking paper in a rigid freezerproof container. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to use, defrost the burgers completely in the fridge; this will take 3-4 hours.
- Heat a griddle pan or barbecue to hot. Brush both sides of the burgers with oil and cook for 3-4 minutes each side or until well browned and cooked.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium hot. Top each burger with a slice of cheese and grill for 2 minutes until bubbling. Toast the burger buns until lightly golden.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the mustard and spread over the base of each bun. Add some tomato, lettuce and avocado slices, then the burger, red onion slices and the other half of the bun.
- Serve with a small bowl of ketchup and fries, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...