Mixed bean and bacon stew
- February 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
This mixed bean stew is a wholesome supper, a great source of protein and fibre, and so easy to make. It’s got a slightly unusual ingredient in the form of treacle, too.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 7.7g (2.5g saturated)
- 30.5g (6.4g sugars)
- 150g piece of smoked bacon, cut into cubes (or bacon lardons)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ¼ red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 750ml chicken stock, homemade or from a stock cube
- 400g tin each borlotti beans, butter beans and cannellini beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 tbsp black treacle
- Small bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat a flameproof casserole over a medium heat, then fry the bacon for 10 minutes until it’s crisp and has released all of its fat. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion and cabbage to the pan and fry for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and fry for a further 30 seconds. Return the bacon to the pan with the stock, all the beans and the treacle, then season.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes until the beans are starting to break down. Taste and adjust the seasoning, stir through the parsley, then serve with crusty bread to mop up the juices.
Shredded ham hock or chopped fried chorizo would be great mixed into the beans instead of bacon.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pork, bean and bacon stew
This flavoursome pork stew recipe is packed full of flavour and texture, great served with...
Broad bean recipes
Succotash stew with smoked cheese and sweetcorn cornbread
Succotash is an American dish from the south, usually made with sweetcorn kernels or beans....