Red pesto salmon fishcakes
- April 2006
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 35 min, cook time 20 min
This easy fishcake recipe makes a fab family dinner. Make in advance, eat some and freeze the rest for when you haven’t got time to cook.
- 15.4g (2.9g saturated)
- 14.8g (1.6g sugars)
- 900g floury potatoes, such as Maris Piper, cut into chunks
- 5 tbsp roasted red pepper pesto (we like Sacla)
- 75g parmesan
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 4 salmon fillets with skin
- Small jar light mayonnaise
- Put the potatoes in a large pan of water, cover and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes, until tender. Drain well, return to the pan and add 4 tablespoons red pepper pesto. Mash until smooth. Finely grate 25g parmesan and stir into the mash with the lemon zest. Season with pepper. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, put the salmon on a heatproof plate, cover with pierced cling film and microwave on medium (750W) for 3-4 minutes, until cooked but a little pink inside. Cool slightly, then discard the skin. Flake into large chunks and mix into the mash. Shape into 12 fishcakes and flatten slightly.
- Put the fishcakes on a baking tray, chill, then open-freeze for 2 hours until solid. Transfer to a food bag, label and freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge for 12 hours, then bring to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. Finely grate the remaining parmesan and coat the fishcakes in it. Put on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and cook for 20 minutes, turning halfway, until piping hot and golden.
- Mix the mayonnaise with the remaining pesto. Serve 2 fishcakes each, with a dollop of the mayo, a lemon wedge and some rocket.
To eat straightaway, prepare up to the end of step 2. Chill for 20 minutes. Continue from step 4.
Freeze for up to 2 months, thaw in the fridge for 12 hours, then bring to room temperature before continuing from step 4.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Christmas salmon recipes
Cured wild salmon carpaccio with caramel jhalmuri, potato salad and pea chutney
Impress your friends with Vivek Singh’s carpaccio of cured wild salmon, with caramel jhalmuri, potato...