Monkfish with salsa
- September 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
This is a lovely fish recipe with meaty monkfish and Asian-style aubergines. A great dinner party dish.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 40.4g (5.8g saturated)
- 26.2g (5.9g sugars)
- 2 aubergines, sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 medium free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 100g panko breadcrumbs or dried breadcrumbs
- 25g sesame seeds
- 4 x 125g monkfish fillets
For the salsa
- 300g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 290g jar roasted peppers in oil, drained and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Pinch of sugar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 120ºC/fan100ºC/gas ½. Put the aubergines in a glass or ceramic dish together with the olive oil, sesame oil, chilli flakes and soy sauce. Season with pepper, toss to coat, then set aside.
- Make the salsa by mixing together all the ingredients in a bowl, then set aside for the flavours to mingle.
- Place the beaten eggs in a shallow bowl. Mix the panko or dried breadcrumbs and sesame seeds together in a separate bowl.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Dip each marinated aubergine slice in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture, coating on both sides. Fry in batches for a minute or so on each side until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven as you fry the rest. (Wipe the frying pan carefully with kitchen towel between each batch to remove any crumbs that can burn, adding fresh oil for each batch.)
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in another pan and fry the monkfish for 10-12 minutes, turning once, until cooked through and golden.
- Serve the crunchy aubergines with the pan-fried monkfish, broken into chunks, and the salsa alongside.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Monkfish in Parma ham
This quick and easy monkfish recipe is a surefire way to impress at any dinner...
Low in calories, fat and carbs, this recipe tastes fabulous and will keep you looking...