Chorizo, chickpea and mussel stew
- April 2013
- Serves 4
- takes 20 minutes to make, 40 minutes to cook
This simple yet full-flavoured chorizo, chickpea and mussel stew recipe is perfect for a midweek dinner.
- 22.2g (6.2g saturated)
- 22.4g (3.7g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 200g diced cured chorizo
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 chopped red chilli
- 400g drained
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1kg mussels
- 75ml white wine
- 1 celery stick, sliced
- small bunch of chopped fresh tarragon
- squeeze of lemon
- crusty bread to serve
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Fry the chopped shallots, crushed garlic clove and diced chorizo until the shallots are soft.
- Add the paprika and chopped red chilli, then cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the drained and rinsed chickpeas, tomato purée, capers and 350ml cold water. Bring to a simmer and cook gently for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and scrub the mussels, discarding any that don’t close when tapped firmly.
- Heat a large saucepan with 75ml white wine and 1 celery stick, sliced. When steaming, add the mussels and pop the lid on. When the mussels have opened (discard any that don’t open), pour the contents of the pan into the stew and stir. Add a small bunch of chopped fresh tarragon and a squeeze of lemon to sharpen, then serve with crusty bread.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cheat’s spiced mussels
Make these mouth-watering spiced mussels as a midweek supper that’s ready in 15 minutes. Serve...