Oat biscuits with herbs and goat’s cheese
- December 2016
- Makes 50
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 12-15 min, plus 1 hour chilling
Forget blinis, Raymond Blanc’s combination of herby goat’s cheese and oat biscuit will be your new favourite canapé recipe.
- 7.1g (4.4g saturated)
- 5.g (1.9 sugars)
For the biscuits
- 125g wholemeal flour
- 145g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 115g jumbo oats
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
For the topping
- 300g fresh rindless goat’s cheese
- Finely grated zest 1 lemon
- Large pinch cayenne pepper, plus extra to sprinkle (optional)
- 20g fresh rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 350ml whipping cream, plus extra
- Honey for drizzling (optional)
- Heat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas 4. For the biscuits, put the flour, butter, bicarb, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Using your fingertips, crumble the ingredients together until they resemble breadcrumbs. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well by hand. Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper (it’s very soft and sticky) to a 5mm thick rectangle, then chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- Remove the dough from the fridge, remove the top paper and cut the dough into 50 x 3cm squares. Line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper, then lift the biscuits onto it using a palette knife. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- To make the goat’s cheese topping, whisk all the ingredients, apart from the cream and honey, in a large bowl until combined. Stir in the cream, then taste and season. Depending on the water content of the goat’s cheese, you may need more cream. Spoon or pipe the topping onto the biscuits, drizzle with honey (if using) and sprinkle with rosemary and a tiny bit of cayenne pepper, if using.
The cooled biscuits will keep for 48 hours in a sealed tub. Or freeze for up to 1 month; thaw to continue from step 3.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Celeriac and apple soup with girolle mushrooms and cheesy toasts
This autumnal soup recipe uses seasonal ingredients such as celeriac, apple and mushrooms to make...