Cheesy oat biscuits
- March 2017
- Makes 30
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 16 min, plus chilling
Take your dinner party cheeseboard up a notch – serve it with homemade oat biscuits. Or give these wholewheat savoury biscuits as a a lovely edible gift.
- 4.2g (2.3g saturated)
- 6.5g (0.2g sugars)
- 200g fine oatmeal
- 100g oatbran
- 80g wholewheat flour, plus extra
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ tsp salt
- 60g gruyère, finely grated
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Plain flour to dust
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Put the oatmeal, oatbran, flour and butter in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips to get a crumb-like texture. Add the salt, gruyère, cayenne and 175ml cold water, then knead for 2 minutes to work it into a dough. Shape into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to a 24cm x 30cm rectangle (2mm thick). Use a sharp knife to cut 30 x 3cm x 8cm biscuits and put on a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 16 minutes until pale, golden and smelling biscuity. Cool on a wire rack. Serve or store in a sealed container.
Make the dough up to 48 hours ahead, wrap in cling film and chill. Freeze the finished biscuits in a freezer bag, then warm in the oven to crisp up.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Stilton and sesame biscuits
Serve these easy Stilton and sesame biscuits with Prosecco Royale cocktails at a dinner or...