Pan-fried pheasant with celeriac and parsnip rösti
- February 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook, plus cooling
Enjoy an easy pheasant recipe with this pan-fried dish served with a celeriac and parsnip rösti. This could make a great alternative to Christmas dinner, too.
- 34.3g (8.3g saturated)
- 27.9g (13.4g sugars)
- 1 celeriac, peeled and quartered
- 500g parsnips, peeled and halved
- ½ bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 1 large free-range egg
- 5 tbsp rapeseed oil or mild olive oil
- 1 pheasant, divided into 2 legs and 2 breasts
- 3 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml dry cider
- Knob of butter
- 2-3 tbsp soured cream
- Handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Cook the celeriac and parsnip in boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes, then drain, pat dry and allow to cool. Coarsely grate them into a bowl, then mix in the spring onions, flour and egg. Season well and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan. Season the pheasant pieces, add to the pan with the shallots, then cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through – you may need to cook the leg pieces for a few minutes longer. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the pan, set aside to keep warm on a warm plate, covered loosely with foil.
- Heat a little of the remaining oil in a clean pan and fry spoonfuls of the rösti mixture over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, turning halfway, until golden brown and crisp, adding more oil when needed. Place on a plate lined with kitchen paper and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Meanwhile, make a sauce. Add the cider to the pheasant pan and bubble over a medium-high heat until reduced by half, stirring to deglaze the pan. Stir in the butter, soured cream and parsley. Serve with the pheasant pieces and the rösti.
Try these rösti with pork steaks instead if pheasant isn’t available
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Braised pheasant with whisky sauce and pearl barley pilaf
Celebrate in-season game meat with this recipe for braised pheasant,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter