Pancake waffles with ice cream and pomegranate
- January 2018
- Makes 4 pancakes
- Hands-on time 15 min
These thick, waffle-like pancakes are made with buttermilk for an extra fluffy texture. Top with your favourite ice cream (we recommend pistachio) and pomegranate seeds for a gorgeous brunch or dessert. Time to up your game this Pancake Day.
Or, go for a stack of pancakes filled with caramelised banana and drizzled with homemade Nutella sauce.
- 75g plain flour
- 75g rye flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- A pinch of salt
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 large free-range egg
- 284ml buttermilk
- Large knob of butter
- 1 scoop of your favourite ice cream
- Handful of pomegranate seeds
- Grating of dark chocolate
- In a large bowl, mix the plain flour, rye flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt and caster sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with buttermilk. Pour the egg mixture into the flour and beat with a spoon into a smooth, thick batter.
- Melt a large knob of butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Spoon equal amounts of the batter into the pan in 4 separate mounds to make 4 pancakes. Cook gently for 2-3 minutes until golden underneath, then flip and cook for a few minutes more until cooked through. Serve with a scoop of your favourite ice cream (we used pistachio), a handful of pomegranate seeds and a grating of dark chocolate.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sweet pancake recipes
Jam jar pancakes with berries and crumbled flapjacks
Pancakes aren’t just for Pancake Day – this recipe for...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter