Savoury waffles with smoked salmon, avocado and eggs
- March 2020
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 45 min
You don’t even need a waffle iron to make these savoury waffles! Get out a griddle pan and prepare yourself for one epic brunch dish, consisting of fluffy, pull-apart waffles, smoked salmon, smashed avocado, poached eggs and a drizzle of honey. Brunch never looked so good!
Find more brilliant recipes like this one in our brunch collection.
- 38.9g (18g saturated)
- 45g (13g sugars)
- 130g plain flour
- 130g rye flour
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 35g light brown sugar
- 2 small free-range eggs, plus 4-6 for poaching
- 400ml whole milk
- 80g greek yogurt
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Large handful roughly chopped fresh dill and/or parsley
- 150ml crème fraîche or greek yogurt
- 2-3 tbsp strong horseradish sauce (optional; we used Tracklements)
- Honey to drizzle
- 200g smoked salmon
- 2-3 avocados, halved and stoned, with lemon juice squeezed over
You’ll also need…
- Griddle pan (about 24cm x 24cm)
- In a large bowl, mix the flours, bicarbonate of soda, 2 pinches of salt and the sugar, then make a well in the centre.
- Mix the 2 eggs with the milk and yogurt in a jug until smooth. Pour the mixture into the flour, then gently mix together to form a batter.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-high heat, then add half the butter. Pour in half the batter, turn the heat down to medium and cook for 2-3 minutes. Once bubbles appear on the surface, check with a palette knife that the underside is golden, then loosen from the pan with the knife. Slide out onto a light board using the palette knife to help, then turn the pan over and set on top of the waffle so it covers it (see tip). Lift up the board, holding the pan securely, and flip over so the waffle is back in the pan, then cook for 2-3 minutes more (adjust the heat if need be). Keep warm in a low oven and repeat with the remaining butter and batter.
- Bring a wide pan of water to the boil and add the vinegar. Turn down to a gentle simmer, crack an egg into a cup, then slide it into the water. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Cook gently for 2 minutes or until cooked to your taste. Take out with a slotted spoon and set on a plate.
- Mix most of the dill and/or parsley with the crème fraîche/yogurt (and horseradish, if using).
- Spread the waffles with the herby crème fraîche/yogurt, drizzle with the honey, then top with the salmon, avocados, poached eggs and more herbs. Serve in the middle of the table and let everyone dig in.
Cut each waffle in half before you flip it, if that’s easier for you.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Savoury pancake recipes
Horseradish pancakes with smoked salmon and dill sauce
Who said pancakes have to be sweet? We’ve topped these savoury buttermilk pancakes with smoked...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...