James Martin’s pistachio coffee cake
- March 2010
- Serves 8
- Hands on time 20 minutes, 30-35 minutes cooking time, plus cooling
James Martin’s recipe for pistachio coffee cake is a delicious and simple bake that goes down well at a coffee morning amongst friends.
Take a look at his classic lemon drizzle cake recipe, too.
- 46.8g (23.9g saturated)
- 49.4g (29.3g sugar)
- 225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 3 tbsp strong cold coffee
- 75g shelled pistachio nuts, very finely chopped
- 250g self-raising flour, sifted
- 25g icing sugar, for dusting
For the filling
- 300ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 110g shelled pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Grease a deep, 23cm springform or loose-bottomed cake tin with butter.
- Place the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating between each addition. Be careful not to add them too quickly or the mixture might curdle.
- Add the coffee and chopped nuts and mix well, then carefully fold in the flour. Pour the mixture into the cake tin straight away. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- A skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- For the filling, pour the cream into a bowl and whisk until it forms soft peaks, add the icing sugar and pistachios and fold gently with a spatula until the mixture forms firm peaks, being careful not to over-mix.
- Cut the cake in half horizontally with a bread knife [or see tip below] and place the bottom half on a serving plate. Spread the pistachio cream over the bottom half of the cake, then cover with the other half. Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter