Potato and anchovy bake
- January 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 40 minutes to make and 55 minutes to bake
A lovely Swedish potato baked side dish recipe (also known as Jansson’s temptation) scented with anchovies for a salty hit.
- 44.8g (27.4g saturated)
- 39.3g (5.7g sugar)
- 30g can anchovy fillets in olive oil
- 25g butter
- 2 medium onions, very finely sliced
- 4 medium, waxy potatoes (about 800g), thinly sliced
- 284ml carton double cream, made up to 300ml with milk
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Drain the anchovies, reserving their oil. Gently heat half the butter in a saucepan and stir in the anchovy oil as it melts. Add the onions and fry over a low heat until they are very sweet – don’t let them brown. This should take a good 20 minutes. Once cooked, set aside.
- Smear a deep, 1.25-litre baking dish with the remaining butter and arrange half of the potatoes in the base. Pour over the onions and arrange 12 anchovies on top. Add the remaining potatoes and half the cream. Season lightly and bake for 30 minutes. Add the remaining cream and bake for another 25 minutes, until golden and the potatoes are very tender. Serve immediately with grilled lamb chops or a good steak.
Fantastic with 50g freshly grated Parmesan sprinkled over the top before you pop it in the oven.
Rate & review