Baked rainbow trout and butter bean gratin
- May 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
This easy gratin recipe will be on the table in just 30 minutes. A simple butter bean and leek gratin with creamy dill sauce and sourdough breadcrumbs is topped with baked rainbow trout.
- 31g (12g saturated)
- 27.6g (6.4g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon, plus extra to serve
- 400g can butter beans, drained
- 2-3 heads spring greens, thick stems removed, leaves roughly torn
- 300ml single cream
- 4 tbsp chopped dill, plus extra to serve
- 75g fresh breadcrumbs (we used sourdough for extra texture and flavour)
- 4 sustainable rainbow trout fillets
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leek and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Next add the lemon zest and juice, butter beans, spring greens and plenty of seasoning. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the greens begin to wilt. Stir in the cream and half the dill, then transfer to a medium baking dish.
- Toss the breadcrumbs with the remaining oil, dill and some salt. Sprinkle over the beans and bake for 15 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Put the trout on a lined baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and season. Put in the oven, below the gratin, for the last 6 minutes of cooking.
- Serve the gratin and trout, sprinkled with extra dill, lemon zest and lemon wedges on the side for squeezing.
Easy swaps: For a lighter dish, replace the cream with good-quality chicken stock and 3 tbsp light crème fraîche.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Grilled trout, bacon and almond salad
A quick and easy grilled trout recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes.