Baked rainbow trout and butter bean gratin
- May 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
This easy gratin recipe will be on the table in just 30 minutes. A simple butter bean and leek gratin with creamy dill sauce and sourdough breadcrumbs is topped with baked rainbow trout.
- 31g (12g saturated)
- 27.6g (6.4g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon, plus extra to serve
- 400g can butter beans, drained
- 2-3 heads spring greens, thick stems removed, leaves roughly torn
- 300ml single cream
- 4 tbsp chopped dill, plus extra to serve
- 75g fresh breadcrumbs (we used sourdough for extra texture and flavour)
- 4 sustainable rainbow trout fillets
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan/gas 6. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leek and cook for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Next add the lemon zest and juice, butter beans, spring greens and plenty of seasoning. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the greens begin to wilt. Stir in the cream and half the dill, then transfer to a medium baking dish.
- Toss the breadcrumbs with the remaining oil, dill and some salt. Sprinkle over the beans and bake for 15 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Put the trout on a lined baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and season. Put in the oven, below the gratin, for the last 6 minutes of cooking.
- Serve the gratin and trout, sprinkled with extra dill, lemon zest and lemon wedges on the side for squeezing.
Easy swaps: For a lighter dish, replace the cream with good-quality chicken stock and 3 tbsp light crème fraîche.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...