Bubble and squeak with gammon and fried eggs
- November 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Use up Sunday lunch leftovers with this bubble and squeak recipe. Throw in anything else you’ve got too for a classic winter warmer – and great if you’re on a budget, too.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 16.5g (3.9g saturated)
- 29.9g (15.8g sugars)
- 1 small savoy cabbage, coarsely shredded
- Olive oil or butter for frying
- 2 gammon slices (about 200g), cut into chunks
- Large pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 700g leftover cooked vegetables, roughly chopped (we used potatoes, carrots and parsnips – see tip)
- Small bunch fresh flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 free-range eggs
- Pickles and mustard or ketchup (optional)
- Put the cabbage in a colander and pour over a kettleful of freshly boiled water. Leave to drain and steam dry.
- Heat a large frying pan and add a glug of oil or a knob of butter. When sizzling, fry the gammon for 2-3 minutes until golden, turning often, then remove from the pan to a plate.
- Add the cabbage, season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the nutmeg, then toss and fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until taking on some colour. Add the cooked veg, season well, then toss everything for 5-6 minutes, pressing down on the mixture in the pan every now and then to brown the veg. Keep it over a high heat – it’s hard to burn it and the caramelised spots are the best bits. Once the veg is hot and golden in parts, return the gammon to the pan with its resting juices and toss everything together for a couple of minutes.
- Keep the pan over a low heat while you fry the eggs. Heat a second frying pan with a glug of oil or knob of butter over a high heat, crack in the eggs, then fry until crisp underneath. Divide the bubble and squeak among 4 plates and top each with a fried egg. Serve immediately, with pickles and mustard or ketchup.
It’s good to have some potatoes in the mix of vegetables, as they help hold everything together.
Make the bubble and squeak, leave to cool then bag up and freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost and fry to reheat.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Best of British recipes
Cheat’s bubble and squeak cakes with smoked haddock and eggs
This easy recipe livens up an ordinary pack of bubble and squeak with the smoky...